Purina Dog Food Reviews, Recalls, and Prices 2017 – In spite of the flaming purina dog food reviews, millions of dog owners still purchase it. This is the proof that out there, million people still purchase and believe in the brand. There are some sub brands that are manufactured by the company too. You just need to avoid the problematic one and set your eyes to the high quality products.
Purina Dog Food Brand Overview
This factory was first built in 1894 by the Danforth family in St. Louis, Missouri. At the beginning, this factory produced not only animal food, but also human food. Later on, both factories splat and merge with different manufacturers. Purina dog food are merged with Nestle. The first animal product was known as “chow” and now have been developed into numerous nutritious dog and cat food products.
There are a lot of low reviews of this brand. You can say that almost half of the product is not compatible for your cats or dogs. Those who complain share that the feeding makes the pets sick. Some others complain that the products are rotting, allowing worms to live inside of the chunks. Those who have no problems say that the feeding is good enough for the four-legged house animal.
Purina dog food ingredients
There are two top purina dog food ingredients that make it better than the other brands.
70% of this meat contains proteins, 14% fat and 16% carbohydrates. Turkey is also rich in riboflavin and phosphorus.
- Corn gluten meal
Added to the list because of its high protein content.
There are reasons why the other half of dog owners avoid this brand. These ingredients are some of them:
It is the source of carbohydrate from plants, which is not friendly for dog digestive system. Too much soybean will interrupt mineral absorption in dog’s body.
- Poultry by-product
This is the part that raise your concern. The “poultry” part is not defined, and “by product” could mean every part of the animal; intestine, internal organs, etc.
One carbohydrate source is okay, but two is too much. It is just “filler” in the end.
Purina dog food Prices.
Here is a quick glimpse to purina dog food prices:
- Purina One Smart Blend Chicken and Rice Formula
Buy this brand new product with completed formula for $ 29.96. You will get 14 kg pack.
- Purina Pro Plan Adult Dog Food
This dry food could be purchased with $12.99 for 6lb bag.
- Purina Pro Plan Savory Meals Adult Food
Available in six flavors, this product is fit for one serving only. Grab one for $2.49.
Purina Dog Food Recommended Variants
- Purina Pro Plan
This is the top quality product from Purina. Most of the main ingredients are plants, with chicken meat as in the front line. Includes rice and wheat to provide digestible chunk food.
- Purina ONE
It is the newest formula introduced by the company. Including smart blend system, protein from soybean, and Omega 6 for the healthy coat. A lot of components are easy to digest.
Purina Dog Food Pros and Cons
- This product could be found in almost any store with affordable price; almost half of the top branded one.
- Available in many flavors and package size.
- Willing to develop the composition until the best mix is found.
- The common product is the low quality one, triggering sickness on dog.
- No more contact after calling the costumer service.
- Some “all aged” labeled products are only suitable for adult dog.
Purina Dog Food Recalls History
- 2007 – There had been purina dog food recall: a report of melamine substance in the product. The affected items are Mighty Dog pouch foods and Alpo Prime Cuts in Gravy. These products are banned from the market after wards.
- 2013 – There is a huge commotion of the salmonella contamination in one of the product. Purina One Beyond then was recalled from the stores. Among all the packages, there is only one bag that is positively affected by the bacteria. Costumers are suggested to pay attention to products best used until October 2014.
- 2016 – The company recalls for the Beneful and Purina Pro Plan wet dog foods. The beneful products include Beneful Prepared Meals as well as Beneful Chopped Blends. For wet food, it is the Pro Plan Savory Meals. These products do not contain enough protein as written in the label. The dog owners who feed these products for several weeks are suggested to stop the routine.
Some owners love their dogs so much, but suffer from budget limitation. That is why, they grab anything that fit the budget for a month. However, it comes with severe consequences: sick dog, bad body conditions, and digestion problems. Purina brand is great, but for two products only: purina pro plan and purina ONE. Both have similar prices and quality to the other competitors. Avoid any other Purina products.
Maintaining good reputation is as challenging as keeping the ingredients’ quality. Top components call for higher price. To solve this problem, the company tries its best to find a healthy yet qualified substitute. Unfortunately, these fillers trigger allergic reactions on the dog. That is why purina dog food reviews is always debatable, despite of its steady selling chart.